Friday 4 January 2013

Things you find when You're Tidying

Every Xmas break, I try to tidy the house, clear out stuff accumulating in cupboards, boxes, magazine racks etc.

My local Oxfam shop is often overwhelmed by the bags of stuff I (slightly shiftily) drop off with them. I'm painfully aware it is a side effect of my love of shopping.

One of the great things about tidying though is the things you find that you'd forgotten about. No, not a vintage phone sadly, but a set of Vintage Office style ink stamps.
I love old office stuff, when I worked as a Curator in Manchester I was always zooming out to see old tills, pre-computer counting machines and the like. Incidentally, does anyone else remember dial phones, or am I just being old. I loved the Brrrrrr noise as the dial swung back and you stuck your finger in for the next number. I can also use a slide-rule, which you don't see much anymore. I also love old office interiors. I remember going with my friend Sarah Rooftops and sneaking into an old building where they sold hoover supplies. The wood office partitions with the frosted glass! The worn linoleum! The enormous safe! I love places like that.

3 comments:

Maria said...

We didn't have a rotary phone, but I distinctly remember the first time I saw one. I was at a friend's house when I was about 8, and I needed to call my mom. I literally had no idea what to do. I was pushing the numbers through the holes and nothing was happening. My friend's mom was shocked I didn't know how to use it, and I was shocked anyone would use something that took so long to dial.

Sarah Rooftops said...

I remember rotary phones! And sneaking into those offices - you just made me laugh out loud at the thought!

Leen said...

Every week I learn something new Lal!
And I remember how people said 999 was the worst number for an emergency coz it took longest to dial.