Wednesday 5 December 2012

Face at Forty-ish...

In a conversation at the weekend, my Mum Pauline remarked that there comes an age when you have to stop wearing make-up, and I countered that I was reaching an age where you feel the need to wear it.

As part of my towards forty project, a picture of my eye. I love my green eyes, inherited (well, not the eyes, the colour) from my Gran Jo. As you age, however, they tend to get a bit bloodshot, eyelids droop and creases appear beneath. To be fair, my eyes were often bloodshot when I was young too, but that was mostly hangovers.

Anyway, what make-up do I feel the urge to wear now?
I discovered on a trip to Boots, that make-up comes in a variety of hi-tech forms now. For instance, this Maybelline Colour Sensational Lipstain is actually a felt pen! Amazing. Good to draw in thin and faded lip bits but too dry for all over. Mine is in Blushing, which is a natural pink. Also lined up on the desk are: Benefit Sugarbomb (brilliantly natural blush colour) Max Factor Masterpiece Liquid Eyeshadow (stays on and doesn't go crepy), Max Factor Mastertouch Undereye Concealer (light and doesn't clag round eyes) and Benefit Ooh La Lift (undereye tightener and highlighter.) Moisturising Eyedrops are also good for those bloodshot days.

Things I've buzzed away include: shimmer eyeshadow (makes your eyes look like they've been mummified) thick foundation, matte lipsticks and powder (except on my red nose).

I also have two top tips; one from my boss: curl your eyelashes and then mascara them to make your eyes look bigger. And secondly; check out this brilliant website from Lisa Eldridge with gorgeous make-up videos, from the helpful to the outrageous!

2 comments:

Maria said...

Loving those video tutorials. I think you posted one of Facebook the other day?
When I hit 30 I realized I needed to start wearing make-up everyday. I agree though, i don't think you should stop wearing it, just adjust what you wear.

Elinor Vickers said...

I don't wear it everday, because I'm lazy, but if I don't people keep telling me I don't look well :(

The videos are awesome, I'm addicted to them!