Saturday 29 December 2012

52 Books Project

In preparation for my Book a Week Project, today I went to the library. I felt very ancient as, since I was last there, they had re-equipped it with self scanning machines and all manner of gizmos. My plan is to borrow four books, which I can keep out for a month.
(I would also urge people to support their local library before the government closes them all down.)

Anyway, the books I got are:

Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich, the 19th (!) in a series of comedy romance crime novels I enjoy.

Jeanette Winterson's The Stone Gods. I like her books, I was actually hoping for The Powerbook, but it was out. It is a sci-fi romance.

The Streets of Babylon by Carina Burman ('Translated from the Swedish by Sarah Death(!)) Scandi-crime set in Victorian London. I'm far too addicted to Victorian London crime but this seemed a bit different.

And Sara Maitland's Gossip From The Forest, about the origins of fairy tales. I saw this recommended in Vogue but it wasn't in Waterstone's so I have ordered it online.





4 comments:

Elinor Vickers said...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20663427

Link to one man's project to read all of Dickens in 2012.

Rubytoes said...

I should totally do this as well. I have enough books I own in the to read pile however to keep me going for all of next year! :/ *adds to the todo 2013 list!*

Sarah Rooftops said...

Ooh, the fairy tales one sounds interesting!

Leen said...

Ive just read Carol Shields 'Unless' that you recommended.
Really useful to get things prescreened by you like this!