Saturday 24 November 2012

Incongruous Buildings

I drive past this lovely building every day, on my way to work.

Dating from 1905, it houses the Broadstraik Inn. Apparently, the inn offers excellent local food, although I haven't eaten there yet (add to project list). I often see people drinking beer outside when I drive home in the summer, and I envy them.

To me, this Arts and Crafts buildings look like it would be more at home in the depths of the English countryside, although maybe you differ and see shades of Charles Rennie Mackintosh. Sadly, I haven't found out any information on the architect or anything, an overlooked gem.

Does anyone else love any incongruous buildings, ducks out of water buildings? Or know of any more examples of Arts and Crafts architecture in Aberdeenshire? Answers on the back of a postcard please....

2 comments:

Elinor Vickers said...

In Aberdeen my book lists The Gordon Highlanders Museum, a house in Rubislaw Den and 2 Devanha Gardens...

Lolakola said...

after google-ing incongruous...
I think The University Library would fit into that. there is also a little house near Morrisons on King street - think it is St Clair Street. It's so cosy looking and squished between some flats and a gym/business.