Wednesday 9 January 2019

Ottolenghi

Today is the start of my new middle eastern cookery project. I am using the interesting and very Guardian reader Ottolenghi cookbook. I found it in Typewronger books, a second hand bookshop and typewriter sales shop in Edinburgh.

Recipe is marinated aubergine with tahini sauce which I am having with felafel and pitta bread ( ready made)

Roast slices aubergine 15-20 mins. Spoon over marinade of some or all of lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, oregano, coriander, chilli. Serve at room temperature.

Tahini sauce, whisk tahini paste with enough water to make a sauce, juice of lemon, garlic. Put on aubergine or use as dip.

Interesting science thoughts: aubergines make my hands stingy. Also why does tahini get Thicker when you add water and go from Beige to White when you add lemon? Fascinating. Click on the link below to find out more about how tahini works!

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/8359-a-surprising-tahini-thickener

No comments: