Saturday 7 July 2018

Going Gouache


As part of my painting project I am determined to keep trying new mediums. Media??? Following a boring attempt in watercolour body colour, I got a lovely Winsor and Newton gouache set in the Greyfriars Art Shop in Edinburgh while we were on holiday. What a wonderful old art shop, all wood panelling inside with little drawers of beautiful art materials. These paints were less than half price too! 
I have been taking lots of flower photos for painting around my area, probably annoying neighbours by leaning over walls to photo especially lovely flowers in their gardens. I am especially inspired by Georgia o’ Keefe at the moment and by the amazing weather we are enjoying which has made everything grow and grow. 
I like discovered I like gouache as it can be used like watercolour, used neat or with white. You can remove it, blend it, paint over it. Think of it as watercolour without the frustration. And the amazing vivid colours in this set brought joy to my heart. Went a bit crazy with the blue leaves but I felt it needed some zing and contrast. 




1 comment:

Leen said...

This is really lovely! Its so vibrant.