Saturday 16 June 2018

Art Class: Cranes


I think this is the best painting I have done so far! This is from the final two sessions of my art class. It is of an interesting building site near the library in Aberdeen where huge cranes are erecting a modern building around a ruined church spire. I like the contrast of old and new and the feeling of excitement and enormity which reminds me of my wanderings in London, a city that was always being destroyed and rebuilt. 
Painting is in acrylic with an extra big one inch flat brush for doing a dynamic sky.
I tried to follow the instructions of my art teacher in deciding what the important thing to look at is and making the other features less dominant or focussed. Put touches of all the colours around the painting and look at moving the eye around the painting with different features. Use contrasting colours such as yellow on blue within a limited range. Make the brushstrokes varied and vigorous. Have dark, light and highlights and think about where the light comes from. Don’t be afraid to crop. Don’t be afraid to get more abstract as you go along just enjoying the colours and process. Think about the mood.

1 comment:

Leen said...

Yes Lal I think this is your best so far!!!!!