Sunday 28 January 2018

Into the Highlands


Last week I went to an informal job interview at Braemar Castle. Not sure if anything will come of it, but an amazing drive out into the Highlands through wild, lonely countryside. 

This is the castle which sits just outside the village. It is an astonishing, gaunt, fortified structure backed by weather torn hills. Inside it is a maze of spiral stairs, tiny dark rooms, and unexpectedly domestic spaces, quite liveable until you look out to the hills. An unforgettable and evocative place.

I tried to capture all that with lots of wet on wet ink here. I think my art class is really helping with loosening up my work and making me more experimental.

1 comment:

Maria said...

Gorgeous. Wouldn't that be an awfully long drive for a job? That said, I don't think I'd ever get tired of the views!