Sunday 3 July 2016

Chaos versus organisation

When the world feels in chaos, you sort what you can. Cue another giant wardrobe reorganisation.
Despair due to the EU referendum and despite the fact that pigs might fly before we can sell the flat now doesn't mean I'm giving up.

Some wardrobe reorganisation tips:
Get rid of all your excess hangars. About forty in my case, incidentally forming an interesting record of our shopping habits over the years...Casual Club at C&A anyone? Also those old style wood ones to crush things in and those spring loaded metal ones, which don't seem to be used any more. Ones from drycleaners can be returned and others might go to charity shops (I'm hoping).

Try on all your clothes and brutally purge anything that doesn't fit or is too young for you. I passed on some favourite things ( such as my decades old Laura Ashley black velvet dress) to a younger, thinner friend. We filled four plastic bags with clothes for Oxfam, my charity of choice. Anything you really love but cannot bear to part with can perhaps be letvout a bit or taken up or down a bit or otherwise tweaked. I am doing this with my much loved (but size 12 ) turquoise linen dress from Hobbs. It has these amazing feature pockets where you put your hands in and they meet in the middle. And rickrack braid trims. Sometimes you just buy something that is brilliant, not merely appropriate or useful.

Sort your clothes into either types or colours. I prefer types and have back storage in the spare room for out of season wear (although that's a loose category in Aberdeen) and special occasion wear. I segregated grown up tops and tshirts from my large collection of superhero, scifi and science themed tshirts. Today I'm wearing evolution of hominids tshirt, one of my favourites.

Throw away anything which is holey or disintegrating or cut up to make dusters.

Buy anything new you need. This is the good bit. Mostly skirts in my case as my waist is my most changing measurement, also tshirts as these actually wear out.

Enjoy an increased sense of wellbeing.




1 comment:

SteffR said...

Ah, the joy (and pain!) of de-cluttering! I had a good one in May, am still feeling gaps in the wardrobe from it, esp. with the not very seasonable weather! I love wooden hangers, they are much nicer than plastic or wire though we always end up with a few poking out! I really hope the flat sells and you get your dream flat/house soon! :-)