Tuesday 8 December 2015

A Final Reading Project update for 2015

So, what news of my reading projects?

The Romans will roll over into next year, as I am hoping to get SPQR by the fantastic Mary Beard for Xmas. A chunky volume that should keep my brain busy over the holiday. Mary Beard is a wonderfully witty and acerbic Oxford don, classicist and feminist. She also has a blog which is a great read.

Romans-wise I'm enjoying FR Cowell's Everyday Life in Ancient Rome, a fusty volume from 1961, but a fun read and with great line illustrations and slightly odd photos of some kind of big model of Rome. Does exactly what it says on the tin, in a readable and informative way.

For next year, I will be getting to grips with another great nation of power and empire; the USA, inspired by my recent trip to St Louis and Boston. I Realised I knew very little about America and it's history. My first book lined up is Made in America by the always excellent Bill Bryson. Recommendations appreciated.

No comments: