Sunday 22 February 2015

Ancient Sites


This is Carlungie Earth House or Souterrain in Angus. I had a spare half hour on my way down to Dundee last week, so went to see it. Ardestie Earth House was also signposted, but I could not find it in the maze of country lanes. The earth house is a network of curved tunnels, now open to the air. The picture is an aerial view as I liked the contrast of their weird shapes with the square enclosure that surrounds it; old and modern cultures and their different designs and forms. Carlungie dates from the Roman period and an amphora and jewelled brooch were found there. It is thought that the tunnels were for storage and a round hut stood in the centre. It was a very quiet and mysterious site by an old, tumbledown farm.

2 comments:

Elinor Vickers said...

An unusual hill overlooking the site is an ancient fort. Nearby is a walled garden and the site of the now demolished Laws Mansion, a large Victorian house.

Anonymous said...

Hey tҺere І am so delighted I found youjr weblog, Ι really found ƴoս bƴ error, whilе
Ι wаѕ searching ߋn Aol fοr something else, NonetҺeless I am
here now and would ʝust like tߋ say kudos for a marvelous post and a ɑll roսnd
exciting blog (І ɑlso love the theme/design), І don't ɦave time tօ reɑd thгough іt all at the mіnute bսt Ӏ have saved
it and аlso addeԁ yοur RSS feeds, sо when I have time I will Ƅе back
to read muсh more, Plеase do keep սp the excellent job.



Hеге is my web site: dfsdf erwer