Monday 22 December 2014

This year in review


Looking back this has been a strange year. Almost a year in stasis as everyone north of the border waited for the news. The referendum hung over us all like a sword of damocles. Everything could change or nothing. I'm not going to offer any political comment here due to the divisive nature of the issue, but I'm hoping normal service can resume in 2015.

Personally, there were some developments this year such as the birth of my nephew Archie. A happy moment. I reached the milestone of forty which is fine if you don't think about it. We went on some lovely holidays, especially Strasbourg where I travelled the channel tunnel for the first time ( recommended) and stayed in the St Pancras Hotel, a favourite building and where Alistair first proposed...

Project wise, I went to The Neos art festival for the first time and the Spring Fling dumfriesshire art festival. I did lots of painting and sewing and cooked lots of french food. Next year, women travel books, stone circles, middle eastern food and complex baking.

Work wise, a year of change in which we went through three managers, with varied degrees of success, worked like dogs and came out on top. Next year looks tough though.

Health wise, sadly my knee problem stopped my running but I am still experimenting with pilates and yoga. A regular massage is making progress on my dodgy shoulder and I'm relaxing more. A postive outlook.

Socially, a mixed year. I seem to have grown apart from some friends, but become closer to others. Some, sadly have moved away and some sad times. Lovely Alistair is the centre of things for me, as always.

On a lighter note, film of the year: Guardians of the Galaxy. Recipe of the year: Chocolate Spice cookies. Biography of the year: graphic novel Kiki de Montparnasse. Sight of the year: Chateau de Haut Koenigsberg, Alsace.

Art posts will resume shortly...


5 comments:

dolcat said...

I love your year's review. Very positive.

Leen said...

Hi Lal how about I get the recipe for chocolate spice cookies?

SteffR said...

Honestly written,I know it was a mixed year for me as well, onward and upward I say. And I'm with you on the knee problems, though I am determined to at least make an effort to move/not let fear rule me so much with exercise this year.

SteffR said...

And I second the demand for cookie recipe!

Elinor Vickers said...

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spice-Cookies-51115800

Spice cookie recipe here. Or search for Jerusalem Cookie or but the excellent Jerusalem cookbook by Yotam Ottolenghi.