Friday 19 July 2013

Just a random Watercolour

This is Shadwell Park, in Norfolk. Another house from my beloved Victorian Country Houses book. (The Mark Girouard one, if you wanted it.) Shadwell is built in three parts. Many houses grew and grew over time, which I find interesting. There is a Georgian bit, clad in a mid-Victorian bit (on left) and a bonkers high Victorian bit on the left. The tower is actually the entrance to the stable block, it looks like a church because that is what the architect (Teulon) usually designed.
I often fantasise about hot summers spent in an overgrown garden of a sleepy stately home and this place looks perfect!
Incidentally, I discovered the artist John Piper was ahead of me on my Victorian Country House pictures. Check out his 'Victorian Dream Palaces' and other works here at the Tate. This one is also of Shadwell and is fantastic! I think I first saw paintings by John Piper on a trip to the then mothballed Dunecht House, stacked in an empty drawing room.

No comments: