Thursday 21 March 2013

March Books

Yes, I'm a bit early with this, but my March and April are turning into a frenzy of work and busyness so I thought I'd score them off while I had the chance.

And my March book is a cheat because I am rereading Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter. I haven't read it for about ten years and I'd forgotten how brilliant it is. It's a rip-roaring, sexy, bizarre, gothic, feminist novel about a Victorian woman who happens to have wings. One of those books with a great story but so much else going on too. And beautifully written.

Honorary second place goes to 'Addition' by Tony Jordan, a comedy romance about a girl with an Aspergers style counting disorder. Slightly disturbing, but also really touching and funny. For graphic novel/comic enthusiasts I would also recommend 'Hawkeye; My Life as a Weapon' which is moving, exciting and a real work of art. As well as starring lovely Hawkeye from The Avengers, a film I love beyond reason.

4 comments:

Elinor Vickers said...

I should also give a mention to Big Machine by Victor Lavalle. Initially I loved this, with it's intriguing characters and gritty weirdness, but I found it so inconclusive and bizarre at the end that I was quite disappointed.

Alison said...

Love Angela Carter. Might have to go off and re-read The Bloody Chamber now.

Elinor Vickers said...

That's amazing too. Have you read Infernal Desire Machines? Really weird and a big inspiration for my degree design projects.

Alison said...

No I haven't, I really should read more of hers.