Wednesday 13 March 2013

Favourite Building


This is my favourite building in Aberdeen. I love it because it is Bonkers. Gothic Baronial Art Nouveau, put in a box and shaken up.

This is No 50 Queen's Road, by JB Pirie, 1886. I believe it is on the site of the earlier Old Rubislaw House belonging to the Skene family and dating from the 1600s. Sadly this was demolished, but at least it was replaced by something good.

Queen's Road ia a mass of eclectic mansions, from Olde English to French Rennaissance in style. I hope to paint more of these fascinating houses.

For interest picture is shown before and after inking, not sure which I prefer....somehow they capture different aspects of the architecture: mass or detailing.


2 comments:

Maria said...

The first kind of looks like a cloudy day, and then the second the sun came out and everything is clearer. The mood changes dramatically, but they're both lovely.

Leen said...

Difficult choice Lal, on balance the pencil one has more atmosphere and seems more naturalistic, so would go for that maybe. Abde and I discussed this at great length!!