Wednesday 24 October 2012

Fabulous en France

On my annual trip to Paris, I am always inspired by the amazingly stylish people you see going about. Following from this (and featuring my blog's first ever male fashion picture) I offer the following tips which I am trying to apply to my own wardrobe. (If I didn't have a rotten cold so shrouded in a giant jumper, that is.)

Cast aside: Your Ugg boots and fake tan. You won't see them here. Yes, I know France might actually enjoy sunshine, unlike Scotland. And maybe it's not quite so cold.

Embrace: knee boots over skinny jeans with a fitted jacket, lots of black with bonkers accessories like bags and scarves, everything leopard pattern and fur (sometimes real, sadly). A great Paris look is a black mac, dress and black court shoes. Red lipstick is a must have. Yes, you can still wear those shoes high. Stride with confidence, feeling fab.

And gents. On the right, a gent I saw strolling along Boulevard Montparnasse wearing a full evening suit with bowtie and olive green shoes. Amazing.

Parisian men either dress very classic (with a twist) or very hipster with cardigans, coloured jeans, sneakers (not trainers.)

And so to my wardrobe project: A daring purchase of a leopard pattern belted mac in the Hobbs sale. An ongoing search for a pair of black high heels (seriously new territory for me) and for a classic black handbag. Any advice on the latter two appreciated.

4 comments:

Alison said...

I love the sound of all but the leopard print. Heels wise, as I have dodgy ankles and tend to fall over a lot, I really like wedge heels, as they are a bit steadier, but you still get the height and smart look with them.

Tim said...

What's the difference between sneakers and trainers?

Elinor Vickers said...

Sneakers are like Converse sneakers, to my mind. Canvas with rubber soles, more like plimsolls?

Elinor Vickers said...

So I've now updated my wardrobe with...a leopard print mac, white shirt, black handbag and I'm still looking for the shoes.