Saturday 21 January 2017

Reading Project

This year's reading project is Africa, following on from America last year. I felt I knew very little about the history of Africa. Also, as I am volunteering at Kenwood House doing education work on black history and slavery I needed to read up. I also feel that the Empire and The slave trade are things that are seldom discussed in history but which were hugely important. If the Empire is mentioned at all it is usually by appalling Brexit types who have no knowledge of what was actually involved.

I found what I am really interested in is called Sub Saharan Africa, that is to say not North Africa or Egypt. Not much is Known of this area prior to arrival of Europeans as most of the inhabitants did not have a written language. However they have fantastic art which I recommend looking up, or seeing in the British Museum. African art can be difficult to get into as it is completely different. I found the textiles and ceramics are the most initially pleasing. 

Due to the lack of written culture among the people You do end up reading about them through the stories of the British Empire and the Slave Trade, sadly. I particularly enjoyed the book Africa Explored: Europeans on the Dark Continent. The explorers had an appalling time, suffering disease, starvation, murder, and were continually amazed, confused and aghast at the places, people and cultures they found. My favourite explorer was Richard Burton, genius, sex maniac and world traveller.

My current read is the chunky but entertainingly sarcastic Decline and Fall of the British Empire.

I have also started a Pinterest board on African art if anyone uses that.

No comments: