Sunday 17 May 2015

Brilliant Bread

One of the few good things about my enforced time off with my foot was the opportunity to try breadmaking. I am using the book Brilliant Bread by James Morton. James was a finalist on British bake off and was robbed, in my opinion. Does it always have to be about cake?
So far, I have made a sweet fruited loaf, a bread with walnuts and today am on a rye with raisins. James favours a very wet sticky dough which is hard to knead as it goes everywhere and three resting periods. Takes about three hours from start to finish. It is very absorbing and relaxing. I have yet to move on to the world of sourdough although I am trying to get a starter.
I would be interested to know about how anyone else makes bread? Wet or dry dough? Rest before kneading? Sourdough starter cultivation...
Any tips...

3 comments:

Leen said...

Today's loaf was Cardamom (1tsp seeds), and poppy seed/sesame seed (1tbsp) of each, which has quite a kick!Hard to know what to eat it with!

Maria said...

I made my starter from the method from Tartine Bread: http://www.amazon.com/Tartine-Bread-Chad-Robertson/dp/0811870413/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432048207&sr=8-2&keywords=tartine
Of course, I need to start over as your brother helpfully cleaned the bowl my starter was in while I was baking last weekend...
It's sort of a long process though.

SteffR said...

I love rye bread, sounds delicious!