Saturday 26 April 2014

Seen from the Road

Really must clean my scanner screen!

This lovely castle is seen from the road as I head north towards Leith Hall.

Harthill Castle was built in the 1600s by a branch of the Leith family and was burned down again by one of them in the late 1700s in an effort to escape his creditors.The family also boasts the 'Violent Laird' but I could find no more upon him, disappointingly.

The castle looms out of woodland on the slopes of the range of hills that includes Bennachie. It is a serious fortification for, despite being pink, it is seven storeys almost without windows. In the 1970 the castle was rebuilt from a gutted ruin and is now a home. It is spectacular inside, the height of luxury and buildings in the grounds include a winecellar with secret door to a gambling den and a dancefloor which parts to reveal a swimming pool.

4 comments:

Carol said...

I've often wondered if anyone would take an old ruined castle and make it into a home. Now I know, someone did!

Leen said...

How do you know about the inside Lal?
Who owns it now???
Amazing place.

Maria said...

Pink, plus secret rooms and hidden swimming pools... Now, that's the kind of castle I can get behind.

dolcat said...

I agree it's great inside