Friday 27 December 2013

Blog Biog

My reading project for 2014 takes me out of my comfort zone. A biography/autobiography/book of letters/diary a month on famous or inspirational women.

I always associate biography with either huge, self aggrandising tomes, celebrity memoirs of people I have never heard of or gung-ho war stories. None of which I like. Also no agony memoirs. What kind of sick person reads those anyway?

I have sometimes tried to read books in this vein, but my last attempt was Churchill's autobiography which moved at a snails pace and has about a million volumes. I did, however, enjoy some of Antonia Fraser's biographies, especially the one on the six wives of Henry VIII.

I'm not sure what I am looking for though, which will make this an interesting experiment. I want things which are an entertaining read, but moving and worthwhile too.

Suggestions to start me off appreciated although I may be browsing my local library section too.



No comments: