Sunday 30 June 2013

Books of June

Book of June is the brilliant and blackly funny 'Travels with my Aunt' by Graham Greene. I haven't finished it yet, so no spoilers please! A stodgily respectable bank manager meets his bohemian and disreputable Aunt Augusta at his mother's funeral and gets drawn into her crazy life.

Honorary mention for 'Mansfield Park' my favourite Jane Austen yet. The heroine, Fanny goes to live with dreadful relatives (Mrs Norris, we all know one of you!) Great characters, romance and soap-y plot twists kept me glued throughout the many, many chapters. It sustained me through the long, jet lagged suffering of our journey back from Chicago. I loved it so much I kept having to update Alistair continually on the characters doings, although he had no clue what I was on about!

2 comments:

Elinor Vickers said...

Which is your favourite Jane Austen? I was upset to see many people hate Mansfield Park because Fanny is a 'goody-goody'. Whereas I felt she was the only sensible person in a world of idiots.

Alison said...

Mansfield Park!